The World of Wonders Science Museum offers standards-based, hands-on science education for preschool through 6th Grade. During a WOW Field Study Trip, each group has the opportunity to explore our 70+ exhibits and enjoy a hands-on lesson in the WOW Lab based on the Next Generation Science Standards.
Prices & Times:
• PreK – Grade 3 Field Study Trips are $135 per class and include up to 25 students (additional students in a class are $6/student). The WOW Lab lesson lasts 30 minutes and the total length of a PreK-3 Field Study Trip is 90 minutes.
• Grades 4-6 Field Study Trips are $185 per class and include up to 35 students (additional students in a class are $6/student). The WOW Lab lesson lasts 45 minutes and the total length of a Grade 4-6 Field Study Trip is 120 minutes.
• Field Study Trips are offered throughout the year on Mondays, Wednesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays. Morning trips begin at 9:30am and afternoon trips begin at 11:30am. If you need to adjust the start time, please contact a WOW Educator and we will make arrangements if possible.
• Home school groups, preschool groups, day care centers, special education groups, and learning centers please call the museum for options and pricing.
Click HERE to view current Field Study Trip activities. (PDF)
How to register for a Field Study Trip:
• See the calendar below or call the museum to check on the availability of your desired trip date.
• Fill in and submit our online registration form. Classes participating in the Sierra Nevada Journeys Matter Matters program use this form as well.
• Alternatively, download and fill in the registration form, then mail, email, or fax it to the museum.
• Your reservation will be queued upon receipt of your registration form, and you will receive confirmation within 3 business days of your request with an invoice arriving shortly afterward.
Field Study Trip Information:
1) General Field Study Trip Schedule:
Upon your arrival, a WOW Educator will welcome your group in front of the museum’s WOW logo wall. A brief orientation will be given that includes a review of the activity groups you have already established, WOW Lab activity schedule, and basic safety rules. Following the introduction, activity groups will begin rotating through the WOW Lab and exhibit floor according to the WOW Educator’s instructions. At the end of your scheduled Field Study Trip time, your entire group will gather again at the WOW logo wall for dismissal.
2) Behavior expectations:
Show respect for all of the WOW exhibits and for each other. We know even the most well-behaved students can get swept up in the excitement of a field trip, so please remind all students that even though the exhibits are designed to be hands-on and interactive, they still need be treated respectfully so they can be enjoyed by classmates and other visitors. Also, please emphasize that for their safety and the safety of other visitors, there is no running anywhere within the museum and students must be supervised at all times.
We ask that you arrange one adult chaperone (not including lead teachers) for every five students in your group. Adult admission to meet this 1:5 ratio is included in the Field Study Trip fee and ensures that there are enough adults to supervise the students while they’re exploring exhibits. Additional chaperones are allowed but will need to pay the regular adult admission price of $7. This rule does not apply to preschools or to groups with students with special needs. Please notify a WOW Educator if this pertains to your group. Inform chaperones before your arrival that not only do they play a critical role in supervision for safety purposes, but that students will have a more meaningful WOW experience if chaperones help them explore the exhibits and ask questions.
4) WOW Science Store:
Shopping at the WOW Science Store is a great way to help support the museum. However, students are not allowed to enter the store without chaperone accompaniment, and please impress upon the students that the store is not a hands-on exhibit area. If you intend to allow your students in the store, please plan to do so early in your scheduled time so as not to delay departure.
5) Scavenger Hunt:
The WOW offers scavenger hunts to help guide excited students through the exhibit space. There are two scavenger hunts below based on grade level groups. If you choose to have your students complete the scavenger hunt, please bring enough copies for your group. The WOW can provide pencils and clipboards with advanced notice.
Click here for a PDF of our Kindergarten-3rd Grade scavenger hunt.
Click here for a PDF of our 4th Grade-6th Grade scavenger hunt.
6) Payment & Refund Policies:
Payment for a WOW Field Study Trip is due no later than 3 weeks prior to the scheduled trip date. An invoice will be included with the email confirming the Field Study Trip for your group. Trips cancelled before the payment due date will receive a full refund. Any Field Study Trip cancelled within three weeks of the scheduled trip date is subject to a $75/class cancellation fee.
For additional information, email jen[at]wowsciencemuseum[dot]org or call the museum at 209.368.0969.